Letting the past do the talking

 

Picture taken by Kaona Sejdiu
It was a sunny Thursday, and I came to the faculty with the only thought: to attend my lectures and go home. As I was waiting in the halls of our department, I heard some colleagues talking about visiting the museum which I had completely forgotten about. I wasn’t planning to go anywhere that day because I was too tired. But soon as we entered the classroom, I turned around to my friend and suggested we visit the museum. It was spontaneous, at that moment I guess I was only thinking of a way to get rid of the assignment the professor assigned us. Since neither of us lived in Prishtina, I took my phone immediately and opened google maps and got directions to the” National Museum of Kosovo”. I lowkey was excited, maybe because I had seen this museum on people’s posts but never actually had the chance to visit it. After a day full of lectures, we finally got out of the department and headed to the museum.

 

 


The past in the present

Tear bottles found in the Roman Period
Picture taken by Kaona Sejdiu
Soon as we arrived there, we were welcomed by a tour guide who asked us whether we would like to take a tour on our own or have her walk us through. We wanted to know more about what we saw, so she gave us a tour. On the first floor of the museum, we went through different eras of our ancestors where we discovered many interesting characteristics of each period starting from "The Neolithic Age” followed by "The Metal Ages” and "The Roman Period”. We had the chance to have a close-up look at the tools Illyrians used in their everyday life, such as needles made from animals’ teeth, accessories, food tanks, axes, and food containers all handmade. Something I never heard of in my life was the tear bottles in the Roman era made from glass. During this period Illyrian women used to fill these bottles with their tears when their spouse died and bury them with the dead body. The moment the bottles drained; the mourning ended. We were also told that these tear bottles were used by women whose husbands went to war. The more tears they shed, the more loyal they were. In a way, it was a form of demonstrating their love and loyalty toward their husbands.

 

 

 

A rollercoaster of emotions

 

Independence Declaration and flags that recognize Kosovo
Picture taken by Kaona Sejdiu
As we were heading out, the tour guide told us we could also go on the second floor. As we were wandering around, I noticed that there was a mini room at the end of the floor on the left. Interestingly, it was lighted more than the rest of the room, or maybe that’s how it seemed to me. Curiosity kicked in and I was impatient, I slowly got away from my friend and headed there. Soon as I turned my head, I got goosebumps. At that moment, everything I had seen till then, started to make sense. Without understanding what was going on, I approached a big wooden table covered in glass in the middle of the room and that’s when it hit me, my eyes were filled with tears, it was “The Declaration of Kosovo’s Independence”. It was surrounded by the flags of every country that had recognized Kosovo so far. As I was staring at each flag carefully, there was something else that caught my attention. Right next to the last flag, I saw a few flag poles standing there empty, which were left there waiting for the next countries to join the crew. This made me think about how optimist we are. We can become very persistent when it comes to our country.


Comments