Inside Kosovo's Ethnological Museum: A blog

    At some point in our lives, I think all of us stop and think for a second about just how much we know, or how much we have yet to know about our country and our traditions. And what better way to learn more about the place we’re living in than by visiting valuable and priceless pieces of its history? So inside Kosovo's Ethnological Museum, we get just a little glimpse of it, but enough to make us remember it the rest of our lives.

    I had never actually visited a museum by myself before so I was a little nervous, but upon arriving there, I was greeted by the docent, who is the person who guides you and tells you about the history of the place. I often have trouble being comfortable with people I just met, but she was really nice and explained everything well. She started telling me about how the house was owned in the 18th century by a rich family. There were two entrances, one for the people who lived there, and one for guests. Going in, the first room was the room where the family ate. There was a round table and chairs so little, one would think they’re made for children, but turns out that wasn’t the case after the docent explained that they were in fact for grown people.


There were times where there wouldn’t be enough chairs for everyone, so people often sat on the floor and ate.

Going up, we went to the room where women would mostly stay in and take care of their children. The room was nice and comfortable, the doors were covered with wool to keep it soundproof, I thought maybe it was so the men of the house would not hear the sound of the children crying.



Then we went to the room where the men would stay in, which from what I remember was the biggest of all, it looked comfortable and it seemed to have the nicest furniture.



In this very room, there was a notebook in which the visitors could write about their experience and leave a nice message for other visitors to see. I think it added a nice touch to the house and it serves as a reminder that people from all over the world want to see and know more about our culture.




     All in all, it was a really nice experience which I would indeed do again soon, maybe with a couple of friends. Not only did I get to learn new things and meet new people, I added a new experience to my memory which will always be with me and never forgotten. We went out through the door from where guests would go in, and I came out with yet another thing I knew I was going to passionately tell everyone about.

Comments