A story of perspective in colors



When I was younger, I used to visit the National Gallery of Kosovo quite a lot with my family. I am the youngest of four girls - both a blessing and a curse. While growing up, everyone in my family had different professional backgrounds. And there I was, the misfit. Trying everything I could get my hands on. Though, strangely enough, I was never tempted by art. Science, yes. Art, no. My second older sister – the artist of the family, was the one responsible for having us attend all the art exhibitions. This time, however, she will not be taking credit for my visit. I found a new perspective and color on my own. Here, let me walk you through my alluring art gallery stopover in Prishtinë.

The National Gallery of Kosovo is just behind the faculty premises, close to the main campus. This institution, in the heart of our capital city, is the home of visual and contemporary art. It is also the place that helped many artists from the University of Prishtina produce remarkable works. I pass by this building every day. Quite frankly, I do not know why I never go inside. This time, I do. The building is very fascinating, and there is something quite amiable about the security guard. As I walk past the gallery, I cannot help but think how miserable I am. Dealing with mental health can be very exhausting. Yet, somehow, the wonderful art keeps me utterly calm. Some artworks really catch my eye, but I want to proceed to the second floor. There, I listen to an interpellation – the artist explaining his work, and I touch a wolf that is wearing spiderman boots (I was probably not supposed to be touching anything).



Photo: Dëshirë Syla



I get back to the first floor, directly to the pieces that I wanted to see. In the middle of the gallery, there is an artwork of something which looks like a type of rocket. In the first part, it looks as if the rocket is on top of a balcony. The two other parts, however, are entirely different, and yet, the same. The rocket looks bigger here. Never has an artwork made me think this deeply before. How can perspective vary this much? Is this applicable to real-life events as well? Apparently, art is resonating with my inner state and I am not even aware of it. 

I move a couple of steps to the left, and shift my attention toward a black and white video installation. Suddenly, a pink rollercoaster starts moving on top of the black and white landscape. The light from the projector starts to reflect on other visitors’ faces. The whole scene looks as if it was taken from a movie. After all, some pink is always useful to color the things we keep in black and white. Experiencing it, I get the impression that everyone is now feeling, just like me. I am proud to let myself be happy, even for an explicit second. I am proud of myself to be here.

As I leave the art gallery, I feel lighter. What an experience. The building that I never bother to go into, may now be one of my favorite places to take a rest. On my way home, I think. Perhaps, all of us deserve to add some perspective and colors to our lives. And, who knows? Prishtinë might be just the place to get that.







Myself and the rollercoaster.

Photo: Blerta Ademi


The National Gallery of Kosovo



                                                                       

                                      

Comments