Go someplace you’ve never been before!

 Do you want to go back in time and experience certain historical events as you were there? Well, you should definitely visit a museum, a place where art shines and architecture just leaves you speechless. Fortunately, I had the chance to visit one of the museums of Kosovo called The National Museum of Kosovo, located in Prishtina

As I finished the lectures at the university, my friend Adea and I decided to go and visit the museum. Even though we went there by walking and got tired, the moment I entered the museum, I understood that it was a place worth visiting and I realized that I should have done it before. I was impressed by the archaeological exhibits, preservation and presentation of Kosovo’s cultural heritage. 




Firstly, when I entered, the calm music in the background, the fresh air and the wide space just made me feel relieved. I immediately moved on exploring the first floor, which was full of archeological monuments. The first monument that caught my eye was The Votive Monument dedicated to the Dardanian Goddess - Dea Dardanicae, 


It was made of white marble and was carved in four sides. Then, I moved on exploring the other parts of the museum, there were some vases from Medieval, Early Medieval and Late Antiquity. They were amazing, the shape, the design was just perfect. 



I also had the chance to see some coins of the Roman period, a marble woman’s head and the Dionysos Herm. But without leaving aside the Medallion Proba, this very rare medallion represents the moment of deification and triumph. The medallion was forged in Siscia on the occasion of the victory of Emperor Probus over the Goths in 278. 


Now, moving on, on the second floor of the museum, where, to tell you the truth, I got emotional, because as I was climbing the stairs, I saw this very big portrait of Mother Teresa, aside with a writing “Peace begins with a smile”. I felt like that maybe because I know what a good person she was, what a humanitarian spirit she had. I moved on the inside and I saw a plaque which was unveiled by the President of Kosovo Atifete Jahjaga, named Stone Peace from Hiroshima. Then comes the part, when I almost cried, seeing these soldiers' clothes folded as they had left, some of them even torn, made me feel sad. I come from a family where we had casualties during the war, maybe that's why I got emotional. 

Sometimes you need to see these things to realize who you are, where you belong, because we tend to get out of reality and forget what happened to us years ago. I think that one of the main benefits of visiting a museum is that you learn more about your culture, but it’s even better because you can see such beautiful, meaningful monuments , not just hear about them. 

But we cannot visit such a place without seeing the bust of the legendary commander Adem Jashari and the hat of KLA, without forgetting the Declaration of Independence of Kosovo. I immediately got back in time, when I used to learn at school about all these things, and then, they were all in front of me, I could see them, read about them and hear the guide talking about them. 


In my opinion, once in a lifetime we should go someplace we haven’t been before, because only this way we get the chance to learn new things, especially if it is about a museum, you go through antiquity, you go back in time and live the moment. During this experience, as I mentioned earlier I wasn’t alone, my friend Adea was with me, and despite the fact that we learned much more about our culture and antiquity, we had so much fun, we took a lot of pictures, which I couldn’t post them all here. It is an experience that made me take the decision to visit such places more often, it will stay in my mind for a long time and I hope that I will share with you the next tour. 




Bleona Lokaj


Comments